Monday, March 2, 2009

History Symposium

I attended BYU's Church History Symposium this past week. Being a history major it was interesting to see historians at work. The first breakout session that I attended was entitled "The Gensis of Mormon Historical Writing." I, being in a historical writing class, thought the discussion would focus on historical writing. I was wrong. It was rather boring actually. The next session I attended was about Andew Jensen. He was a Church Historian who traveled basically around the world gathering information about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It was interesting. The last session I attended was about women in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It was more postmodernist in nature. It seemed to be more of the 'history' that I've been studying in my history 200 class.

One of the keynote speakers was Elder Marlin K. Jensen. He is currently the Church Historian. He said that history is inseperable from reality. He argued that we, as LDS Church members, cannot understand today and what the Church represents today without learning the past. That is why we, as members of the Church, should be students of Church history. Not bad for me who is already a student of history.

Another note from my life this past week. I had a nephew that was baptized. I was also able to study about baptism this past week. Baptism is an ordiance. It is an act, which we preform with true authority, to make a covenant with God. A covenant is a two-way promise. We promise God to follow His commandments and represent Jesus Christ while He promises us to have a remission of sins and the Holy Ghost. What an opportunity everyone has to make a covenant with God. We are able to see his power in our lives.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, David. I came up against your blog and I think you are the man who I met in Warsaw park some years ago and you gave me your private CD's of Mormon Tabernacle Choir. This was a fantastic gesture. Cieszę się, że jesteś w dobrej formie, że studiujesz i rozwijasz się. Pozdrawiam bardzo serdecznie i gratuluję!! Adam from Poland.

    ReplyDelete