Monday, October 19, 2009

Patty Bartlett Sessions




Patty Batlett Sessions joined the LDS Church in 1834. At that time she was living in Maine. After she had joined the Mormon Church, she moved to Missouri with her husband, David Sessions, and family (Wikipedia Patty Barlett Sessions). I am named after this David Sessions. They were forced from their home in Missouri, moved to Nauvoo, and then to Salt Lake City, Utah. Her son, Parrigrine Sessions, settled Bountiful, Utah where his residence still exists at 500 South and Main Street. Patty Sessions was given a journal by her daughter in which she recorded 20 years of daily life (Wikipedia). Patty delivered 248 babies during her lifetime and lived until she was 97 (Wikipedia).

If it was not for this grandmother, I would not be in Utah today. She joined the church and gathered with the saints. The early saints were commanded to move to Ohio (sec 37 of d&c). They came from all over the United States and Europe. This revelation has directly influence in my life because it is the reason that I live in Utah. Had the early LDS saints not gathered to Ohio and to Missouri, they wouldn't have been forced to Nauvoo and later to Salt Lake City. This gathering supported the saints in building the LDS Church. I'm sure if Patty and David had decided to stay in Maine, they would not have remained faithful to the LDS Church.

Today, this gathering still has effect in my life. Not only has it affect my ancestors and thereby affecting me, but also it has helped me to understand that I need to "gather" every Sunday to my ward and help support those who are living today. I'm grateful for the fellowship of the Latter-Day Saints and the help that it has given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment