Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Week of Easter

This has been a terrible week. Homework and tests piled on since we only have two days left until the end of the semester. Last night I was worried with how much I had to do. I had to study for a test, revise a paper which is 40% of my grade, and complete a few chores. I felt overwhelmed and I was only thinking of myself.

Our Elders Quorum, which is a group of men who hold the Melchizedek Priesthood, had a service project. They were going to work at Habitat for Humanity. Unfortunately, I had written it off. I didn't have time. I needed to study. But then, I was reading in the Book of Mormon.

Every night before I go to bed, I read from the Book of Mormon. The last few nights, I've been reading from the translated Polish version, Ksiega Mormona. I started reading in a book called Mosiah in the third chapter. This spot in the Book of Mormon is about a king named Benjamin. He was talking to his subjects because he was about to die. He taught them about Jesus Christ about whom he had had a vision the night before. The people of King Benjamin's kingdom, immediately begin to believe in his words. During part of the sermon, King Benjamin said,

"For behold, are we not all beggars? Bo we not all depend upon the same Being, even God, for all the substance which we have, for both food and raiment, and for gold, and for silver, and for all the riches which we have of every kind?"

"And behold, even at this time ye have been calling on his name, and begging for a remission of your sins. And has he suffered that ye have begged in vain? Nay; he has poured out his Spirit upon you, and has caused that your hearts should be filled with you, and has caused that your mouths should be stopped that ye could not find utterance, so exceedingly great was your joy."

"And now, if God, who has created you, on whom you are dependent for your lives and for all that ye have and are, doth grant unto you whatsoever ye ask that is right, in faith, believing that ye shall receive, O then, how ye out to impart of the substance that ye have one to another."

As I was reading this passage I thought to myself, "I am so selfish. Here it is Easter week, Good Friday even, and I'm worried about a few tests and some papers." I was worried about trivial things, which do have meaning, but not eternal, lasting meaning. I decided to go to the Habitat for Humanity house in Provo. I truly feel better when I serve others.

Who knows what will happen in the future? Will I help a stranger like the Good Samaratin? Will I help my friends? Will someone help me when I need it? May we serve others more quickly and fervently this week as we get closer to Easter Sunday, when Our Savior served us.

No comments:

Post a Comment