Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Print

Last week, I had the opportunity to go to a Special Collections lecture in the Harold B. Lee Library at Brigham Young University. Russ Taylor, the department chair of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections, gave the lecture. He discussed the history of print starting from clay tablets in Mesopotamia to the printing press and books that have pictures painted on the edges of its pages. He showed us examples of papyrus, bronze plates, medieval manuscripts, and printed bible manuscripts. In one lecture, he showed us the entire history of print—at least 4000 years crammed into a room in Provo Utah. It is amazing to think how much information we have.

By happen-chance I’ve learned much about printing. My second semester here at BYU, I took a calligraphy class. We discussed many of the different writing styles through-out the centuries, the different writing materials such as velum and paper, also different types of ink. I am fully aware of the time and energy hand-written documents take. I spent many hours trying to correct my flourishes and my serifs. Also as a student in Jerusalem, we talked about papyrus and stone carving. Just today, I was reading about the Dead Sea Scrolls and the new knowledge which their discovery brought. I’ve also been to a printing museum where they too, show the history of the printing press.

What does this mean? Written word impacts our lives without us ever thinking about it. How easy is it for us to go online to look at blogs and newspapers? Where is the nearest library? How many books do you have in your house? We are so accustomed to printed materials that we don’t think about the historical times when print was not accessible. Even 150 years ago, printing was expensive and hard to come by, but not anymore. We live in a revolutionary world where newspapers are going bankrupt and anybody can have a worldwide audience through the internet.

I read at least 3 hours every day and that is only homework not including the newspaper, books, magazines, or email. I don’t remember when I didn’t read or couldn’t write. It has always been important and it will always be important. It is hard for me to conceive of a time when people were not able to read or when books were not available to everyone. Books are powerful because they hold knowledge. Ancient or modern, print preserves culture and history which help us understand who we are and where we are going. But how often do we use it? In another class of mine, a professor was ranting and raving, like many of them do, about the fact that we don’t access information which only 20 years ago was so difficult to discover. Of course I was disinterested as he lectured on his hobby horse, but it is true. We, the children of the information age do not use what is at our finger tips. How lucky we are to have the printed word.

No comments:

Post a Comment