Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The New Testament

I’ve started reading Acts. I’ve always wanted to know more about the New Testament, especially after the gospels. I hear a lot about the 4 gospels but I never hear much about Acts through Revelation. One reason why I have not studied Acts through Revelation much is because often times I don’t understand what I read. I’ve made a commitment to myself to make it through. Along with my reading, I’ve started a class at BYU that deals with these writings. I’ve very excited and here is my first blog post.

Acts Chapter 2.

First I find the parallels between Moses and the apostles cool. After the children of Israel had been released from Egypt, they wandered through the wilderness. Fifty days later, Moses went to the top of Mount Sinai and received the Ten Commandments. Much like the foreshadowing of Moses, Christ died releasing us from spiritual prison or Egypt. Exactly 50 days later, Pentecost occurred; it was an amazing spiritual outpouring much like what happened when Moses received the Ten Commandments.

I always wondered where Pentecost took place. In Acts chapter 1, all the Apostles are gathered into the upper room. I always thought that the scene carried through to chapter two. However, my professor said that Pentecost would have happened on the Temple Mount, or Al-Haram al-Sharif. In verse 1 it says, “And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.” I always took that to be the upper room with all the followers of Christ and then I was confused when so many people from all over the Mediterranean Basin were included. But now, If it were on the temple mount, all those people would have come to Jerusalem for the festival and it makes so much more sense.

What makes chapter 2 so good is Peter’s speech to all the people. I love verse 38 which says, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ of the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.” We have been talking in class that most of the apostles do not fully understand the mission of Jesus Christ. Not until after the resurrection do they understand that Jesus is the Messiah. Then, when they understood, the Apostles, who were well versed Jews in the Tanahk and Jewish scriptures, were able to see the fulfillment of prophecy. And verse 38 is the climax of Peters understanding. He is saying that only through the name of Jesus Christ, meaning only through belief and faith in him, can men be saved. During this one testimony of Peter, 3000 people were baptized. What power must Peter have had in testifying of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment